. Bright Meadow Farms: How does your garden grow?

Wednesday, June 01, 2022

How does your garden grow?

 I had a big rush to get my flats of seedlings planted before I left on my bicycle trip.  Since I returned home last night to recover from pushing the heavy bike against a headwind on a 90-degree day, I thought I would walk around my garden this morning to see how things are going. 

Here is what I found.

Hosta, iris, clematic doing well on west side of house. 

I believe this is Lupine.  Need to verify.  I love the blooms. Later in the year it will have big black pods.


My beans that were planted just before I started my trip have sprouted.


I don't know if the snow peas will have a crop, since I did not plant until mid-April. They like cool weather, not 90-degree days. 

The first strawberry is almost ripe.  I need to do some weeding, but I won't be here. 

I am trying eggplant this year.  Never had success in the past.  We'll see how it goes. 



Cabbage.  Like the peas, cabbage likes cool weather.  I may not get any heads unless I am dedicated about fertilizing and watering when I get home. 

The deer have visited my garden.  Looks like several of them, unless they came, left, and came back.  My daughter and her boyfriend have promised to help my husband put up my deer fence.  It is 8-foot tall plastic 1-inch mesh. It should keep them out.  We take it down every year and then put it up again in the spring. 



The tomato transplants are surviving.  They probably like the weather. I am afraid these may all be cherry tomatoes, I forgot which seedlings I planted. I re-arranged them in April and lost the plant markers. I also have some peppers. 

I picked a bunch of asparagus last two weeks, and now it is time to let it grow. 

I put a border of calendula around the flower beds this year.  The hope is that they will re-seed themselves. 



I planted a small bed of marigolds for color as I drive in the driveway. 


I've also planted a bed of zinnia.  I've been told that they don't like to have their roots disturbed, so starting them as seedlings and transplanting may not be the best approach.  They seem to have survived the transplanting so far. 

I'm raising a pot of herbs (cilantro, basil) and three pots of jalapenos on the deck.  The flower is Lantana, which is a tender perennial.  I hope to move it indoors in the fall and overwinter it. The far right purple plant is transdescantia, which I started from a cutting from our January vacation. Hope it does better on the deck than it did indoors.  




No comments: