. Bright Meadow Farms: Slow rise

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Slow rise


My peach leaf starter is not bubbling. I suspected it might not, since both the leaves and the potatoes were "sterilized" by heating before fermentation was to begin.

I went ahead and used the starter in a loaf of bread, but with a cup of the starter, I included commercial yeast. I used a cup of warm water, about 3 cups of flour, about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the yeast, and a teaspoon of salt. I'll probably get the taste, anyway! I started the bread last night. I punched it down this morning, and again when I got home from work. I put it in the pan, and let it rise a final time. Sprayed it with some "shine", sprinkled on some sesame seeds, put it into the oven at 400, for 1/2 hour. I just took it out of the oven. I wish I could somehow share the heavenly peachy aroma with you!
I ordered some books on bread from Barnes and Noble last night. One is supposed to have recipes for homemade starter using peach leaves. It will be interesting to see the difference.

4 comments:

Tina Leavy said...

that looks like it turned out pretty good though. yum...homemade bread.

Meadow Street said...

Very interesting, made with peach leaves. I have a peach tree, I'll have to look into making a starter with the leaves. The bread looks wonderful.

Brightmeadowfarms said...

The bread tasted wonderful, had a delicate peachy aroma but a soudough taste. The crust was perfect, crunchy and thin, just the way I like, similar to the bread at one of our favorite restaurants. I'll definitely try this again.

JANET said...

Yum! My dear mother-in-law baked homemade bread. She did sourdough bread and yeast rolls as well, but her loaf bread was the best...especially when eaten with her homemade vegetable soup!
Anyway, I can almost smell the sweet aroma of this peach loaf.