. Bright Meadow Farms: Choices

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Choices

I've been in a state of confusion for the last few days. My company has offered me (and 12,000 other people) an early retirement offer.

Taking the offer would mean more time to garden, to go to the farmer's market, to knit, to make knitting patterns, to take the Master Gardener's program, to learn more about apple orchards, possibly to raise the Angora goats and rabbits and chickens that have always been lurking back in the back of my mind.....

But it would definitely mean a significantly reduced income. They've offered a lot of choices, from taking payouts of my pension fund immediately, to deferring it until age 65. If I took it immediately, it would probably run out way before my Social Security kicks in, if it ever does.

I really hadn't planned on retiring before age 55 at the earliest. So this has really thrown me a loop. So tantalizing!

3 comments:

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

If it were me I'd take the payout and live simply and frugally. There are absolutely no guarantees in life and the opportunity to do something that pleases you is attractive. I wish I could stay home with my angora goats and devote all my time, energy and love to our small ranching operation.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Sorry to hear about your company. I thought it was just here in this small town where companies were either closing or downsizing. It could be a good thing. You could finally do what you have wanted to do, with all your projects. I have found out that I can make it on $200.00 a week. I have to cut corners but all in all, we are surviving. When there is a will, there is a way. I pray that you will come to your answer. Hang in there. Hope you and yours have a blessed evening.
Laura

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

To give you some food for thought take a visit to this website

http://greatday.com/motivate/mtnsun.jpg

This site gives me so much encouragement and peace of heart. I try to visit it every day and have it bookmarked.

I've really enjoyed visiting your blog and will stop by from time to time to see how you are doing.