. Bright Meadow Farms: Beets in February

Friday, February 22, 2013

Beets in February

A month or so ago, I did a germination test on some old beet seeds. I had about a 60% success rate and couldn't bear to throw away the resulting seedlings.  So I planted them in a seed tray and put them in a south window.

They do not get enough light, even a south window in Michigan in February is way too little sunshine.  They are very spindly.  Since beets grow from a taproot and don't take kindly to being transplanted, I doubt I will get much of a crop from the roots, but perhaps the leaves will be a nice addition to some salads.

As I look out over the back yard, I see today's accumulation of 1-2 inches of snow is blowing and drifting around.  I don't think I will be planting these beets outside anytime soon. At any rate, I know I can use that package of seeds!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a really neat idea! I'll have to try this the next time I come across the same problem!