. Bright Meadow Farms: popcorn, apples and pumpkins

Thursday, October 29, 2009

popcorn, apples and pumpkins

Two weekends ago we were at the farm in Kent City and harvested our pumpkins and popcorn. It was a beautiful day and I didn't mind harvesting the popcorn by hand, picking each ear then stripping the husks back and throwing the kernels in the basket. I harvested 5 half-bushel baskets full of popcorn. The ears were very wet but I was hoping to dry them.

We brought them down in the back of my husbands truck with the tonneau cover over it. It was a couple of days before he opened the back of the truck.

Our popcorn was moldy. There was a white web on almost all of the ears. We have decided it is best to just throw it all in the compost pile.

The pumpkins were a different story. They are beautiful. A few are spoiled but there are many that are very nice. I hope to make a few pumpkin pies, but they may be decorations until Thanksgiving.

We also had planted some Indian corn. I picked a few ears and brought them back. They seem to be a success. Hopefully the raccoons will leave us some the next time we visit the farm I will harvest the rest.

I picked 6 half-bushels of apples, Northern Spy. I've made one apple pie but have a lot of canning to do to process the rest. When will I do it?

We're planning to make an offer on the house in Michigan this weekend, then come back and pack for a week. I'll need to do laundry on Saturday night and Sunday morning in order to be ready to go to work on Monday morning.

Arrrgh!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hello! sounds like you had fun. too bad about the popcorn though. Where at in MI are you looking to move? I'm from Manistee County. I love north west MI!

Brightmeadowfarms said...

we're moving to metro Detroit area - Warren and north.

Bethany LaShell said...

Busy, busy! Moving is not a lot of fun, but looking at new houses sure is! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. How fun to learn more about Louis Bromfield!
~ Bethany L.