Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Saving seeds

I forgot to mention a few weeks ago I bought the most FANTASTIC huge red peppers at the farmer's market from a local farmer. No idea what variety they were, but I saved the seeds from one of them. I've had them outside wrapped in a paper towel to dry, need to put them in a small jar to save them overwinter.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes up from these seeds.

Composting

Last night DH borrowed the neighbor's backhoe tractor and took 5 loads of compost from the compost pile to my garden. He "mushed" up the rest of the compost pile, and made room to dump this year's leaves in a bare spot. Hopefully we'll be able to alternate year-to-year from now on. There are a lot of big branches in the pile, probably we'll have to eventually pull some of these out.

I moved the greenhouse from its place by the house into the garden to cover up a few of my pepper plants that MIGHT be saved from frost. Still hoping for a few more harvests. The plus side is that there are a few Swiss Chard plants left that are now inside the greenhouse- the deer won't be able to get to them.

I still have flowerpots, shelving and tools outside, need to find a home for them VERY SOON. It's frustrating to come home from work just in time to fix dinner and have it be dark before dinner is even ready. In a few more weeks it will probably be dark before we even get home from work!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cleanup

DH and I spent some time this weekend in the garden, cleaning up. I took out all my bamboo trellises, and he and I together pulled up all the mulching fabric. That was kind of an adventure, because the one section that had wood chips on top of it, plus weeds growing through the mulch into the fabric, weighed about a ton. We tied a rope around it and tried pulling it off with the 4-wheeler, and broke the rope. Eventually DH ended up getting a tow strap out of the garage and using that to pull the fabric up. Next year I may submit to using glycosphate after all.

I've decided that if I use the fabric again next year, I will use "NEW" fabric, not fabric saved from the previous year. I had a lot of fungus diseases this year, how much due to the wet spring and how much was due to the "REUSED" fabric wasn't really clear, but hopefully new fabric will avoid the problem.

Today I planted the daylilies from Unger farm's Heritage Day sale. I planted them on the west side of the garage amongst the roses of Sharon. This was not my original plan, but the place that DH allowed me to plant them. North to South, I planted:

- Caesar's Brother (or maybe Johnny Rocket Orange - the label is printed on one side and hand-written on the other...)
- Unknown melon-colored daylily (not fragrant)
-Wicked Witch ( a purple, fragrant variety)
- Little Audrey (cream with Red Eye)

I've recently noticed a problem with my elbow which the doctor confirms is tennis elbow, and tells me it will take up to a year to heal. I used the Mantis tiller to soften up the beds where they are planted, but I wasn't able to start it myself, had to get DH to pull the rope. I also noticed significant soreness while pulling on the landscape fabric to remove it. I feel like a pansy, can't do anything by myself.

I've asked DH to till up the garden (to disturb any insect larvae that are hoping to overwinter) and find me a load of manure, as well as move the oldest compost pile into the garden. Leaves are starting to fall, if I emphasize putting the leaves into the COMPOST pile and not directly on the garden, maybe he will listen to me. The heat of the compost pile helps to eliminate fungus diseases, as well as keeping the decomposing leaves from stealing nitrogen from the soil.

USDA - Latest News Releases

The Ohio State University Extension News Releases - RSS feeds

Articles

USDA Agricultural Research Service

Purdue Agriculture News

AgWeb.com - Agricultural News

MSU Extension Emergency Management Updates

Geek.Farm.Life Podcast