. Bright Meadow Farms: Strawberry Rhubarb custard

Monday, April 28, 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb custard

My rhubarb is ready! This morning I went to the garden and found huge seed stalks that looked almost like cauliflower. I cut them out, and harvested a few stalks this evening. Left the leaves in the garden to mulch the awful creeping charlie.

Strawberries here won't be ready for another month or so -- but I still have a few strawberries in the freezer from last year. If you don't, there HAVE been some good sales on California strawberries lately -- local are always better, but the California ones are awfully cheap!

1 cup rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped into fourths
1 cup Splenda
3/4 cup half & half
2 eggs
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Bake in custard dish at 350 degrees until the wonderful smell permeates the house! About 40 minutes.

I didn't want to fuss with a pie, but I didn't want to miss the first rhubarb of the season, either!

No comments: