. Bright Meadow Farms: How to use zucchini?

Friday, August 10, 2007

How to use zucchini?

Zuchini to Compost today. The foot-long ones. There are more in the garden. Last week I committed zucchinicide - I pulled up three plants that were still bearing. It hurt me to do this, but it had to be done. I couldn't even get to my tomatoes. This was just after I found 8 giant zukes. And added them to the 25 other zucchini that were on the kitchen table waiting for me to make something else. So far I've made bread, chocolate cake, orange squares, pancakes, stuffed zukes, grilled zukes, steamed zukes, deep-fried breaded zukes (ooh those were good) cubed and stir-fried zukes. Needless to say, I couldn't face cooking another zucchini. They sat on the table for a week. Then DH took them to the wheelbarrow outside. That was two days ago. I still haven't done anything with them, so today, he kindly removed them from my sight....

One of the farmgirls posted a recipe for mock pineapple for using in stir-fries:

Mock pineapple
12 cups zucchini, chopped up to resemble crushed pineapple
1 46 ounce can of sweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

Put the juices in a large pot with the sugar and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini and boil for 20 minutes. Put in sterlized, hot pint jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 8-9 pints.

I've got cukes, too. I've already made 11 pint jars of dill pickles and 7 pints of bread and butter pickles. This will probably last more than a year. I've still got at least 6 zucchini plants in the garden.

I just ordered a couple of books from B&N - From Asparagus to Zucchini
and Life's Little Zucchini Cookbook The first is a collection of recipes and advice from a community-supported agriculture organization. The second just had nice photos on the cover. Can't wait 'til they get here! It's not like I don't have zucchini recipes already, it's just looking in 100 cookbooks to try to find them.

I've got lots of tomatoes ripe in the garden now too. Looks like I'll be making salsa this weekend. Tomorrow morning I'll go to the farmer's market and get peppers, since the seeds I planted this year must have been sterile - I saved seeds from a purchased pepper and not a one germinated..

No comments: