. Bright Meadow Farms: Less is more

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Less is more

Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when nothing more can be taken away.” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

When I made my French bread entry for the county fair this year, I learned something. I made it with flour, yeast, water, salt, and a very little amount of honey.

No milk, no eggs, no shortening, no oil, no "bread dough enhancer", or gluten. No seeds or flakes or herbs or spices. Just plain flour, water, yeast, salt, and a tiny bit of honey. That is all.

It tasted great. It won first prize, a blue ribbon.

This morning I got out a loaf I made a week ago, following this philosophy, and it was not spoiled or moldy as I half expected it to be. It was fine. A little on the dry side, but that was OK because I was making toast anyway.

Is this an epiphany or a revelation?

1 comment:

Linda G. said...

Congratulations on your blue ribbon bread! I bake bread in the winter, but have never tried french bread..somehow I thought it would be difficult. You make it sound so easy I think I'll give it a try..