. Bright Meadow Farms

Friday, July 13, 2007

WOO-EE! We just got back from 2 weeks of vacation. Before I left I picked all the little baby zucchini and yellow squash, 2 or 3 inches long, and congratulated myself on my foresight in eliminating overgrown squash. Ha! I underestimated how prolific these suckers are. I picked about 30 zukes more than 18 inches long and big around as a football. And a five-gallon bucket of yellow squash.

Who can I give these too? My daughters have already refused to take any. I'm giving the neighbors a few smallers ones. I can maybe give one of each to my parents. I'm shredding some of them right now for freezing using the vacuum sealer, and maybe a loaf of zucchini bread, and perhaps a zucchini spice cake. There's more on the vine.

And, I still have to deal with the bushel of yellow transparent apples I picked at the farm day yesterday, cook dinner, and make a cherry pie for dear, dear hubby.

Here's tonight's dinner:

ZUCCHINI LASAGNA

8 oz. uncooked lasagna noodles
15 oz. carton Ricotta cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
Dash of pepper1 egg, slightly beaten
2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
2 c. thinly sliced zucchini
4 oz. shredded Mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook noodles to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; rinse with hot water.
In small bowl, combine Ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and egg; set aside.
In 9x13 pan, layer 1/4 of the tomato sauce, 1/3 of the cooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 1/3 of the sliced zucchini; repeat layers 2 more times.
Spoon remaining 1/4 of the tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly around sides. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


Next time I'll share some of the wonderful recipes I picked up at the Traverse City Cherry festival.

No comments: