. Bright Meadow Farms

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Here I am, on the deck of the winery in Chateau Grand Traverse, you see the vineyard behind me and further back is the bay. The neat thing about the Old Mission Peninsula is that you can look either direction and see water, the peninsula is not very wide. Oh, I wish I was still on vacation! I

I took some pictures in my garden yesterday. The zucchini is going great guns. I have been finding a lot of new zucchini recipes but I fear I am going to still have to put some on the compost pile, or do drive-by's (leaving shopping bags on neighbors' doorknobs after dark, or visiting the local Wal-Mart to find cars that have foolishly been left unlocked, putting them on the back seat!)


The tomatoes are doing well, I saved seed of Bloody Butcher tomatoes last year but feared they would cross with the other varieties of tomatoes since they were not separated in the garden. I was right - I am seeing some tall plants, with darker green tomatoes, a few on each stem, and some short plants with huge clusters of brighter-white tomatoes. Here's a photo of the shorter plants in front, with some of the taller plants behind. The problem is I have no idea which of the 5 or 6 varieties I planted last year these plants crossed with. I suspect possibly one of the two Russian varieties, Silvery Fir Tree. The plant somewhat resembles those plants. I swore I would never plant those again in my garden due to the blight. They are living up to their "early" billing, though. I've picked three already and here's another one, just about ready.








I evidently had a moment of forgetfulness this spring. Did I forget the definition of "prolific"??? These yellow squash have been more than prolific. I can't keep up with them. I used one that got too big and hard to mark a low spot in the yard - the bright yellow is the same color they use for caution signs on the highway.

No comments: