. Bright Meadow Farms

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Georgia Lewis. My great-aunt and a farmgirl. Yesterday I attended her funeral. She was 89 years old. The minister mentioned her love of quilting and her flower garden. She hand-embroidered over 30 quilts, one for each grandchild. She also mentioned how important "doing right" was with my great-aunt.

I remember visiting her garden as a child and being entranced by the mirrored ball she had placed in the center of the garden, and being surrounded by sunshine and roses, and playing with her collie, Lad. She was one of the sweetest, nicest people I know. She was very thoughtful and kind. I will miss her.

The minister read this scripture. Funny because for the last two weeks I have been thinking of making a redwork quilt with the lines of the scripture in individual quilt blocks.

To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under the sun.
A time to be born and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
a time to kill and a time to heal
a time to weep and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn and a time to dance
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to lose and a time to seek;
a time to rend and a time to sew;
a time to keep silent and a time to speak;
a time to love and a time to hate;
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments: