. Bright Meadow Farms

Friday, August 04, 2006

We got a little over 1/2 inch of rain, but it was enough to cool it off a little. What a relief!

I am picking cucumbers and tomatoes mostly. The tomatoes have a blush on one side or the other and I want to keep them picked so that they keep blossoming and making more tomatoes. Quite a difference between the Silvery Fir Tree and the Beaverlodge tomatoes. When they were six inches tall I couldn't tell them apart - now the Silvery Fir Tree plants look dead, although they have a few tomatoes, and the Beaverlodge have loads of tomatoes and green leaves. Healthiest plants of all are the Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes - the plants are over six feet tall. I keep finding green worms on the branches of different plants - they eat all the leaves right down to the stems. I tried a Quality 23 Hybrid this year but somehow only ended up with one plant, the tomatoes look great but they are quite green yet. They will be my slicers. But my favorite of all has to be the Bloody Butcher. Small tomatoes, just right for salads.

I can't believe I am saying it, but I don't think I planted enough zuchini this year! Only two plants came up although I planted about six hills. I even replanted but I think I stepped on the baby seedlings. I will probably just have enough for my own use, probably not enough for the market. I keep thinking about planting more beets, radishes, and peas, but it is getting late in the year and I haven't done it yet.

I am a little discouraged. If I am to be serious about this farmer's market thing next year, I am going to need a bigger garden, and a lot fewer weeds. Maybe double the size and buy a lot of landscape fabric.

No comments: