. Bright Meadow Farms

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hot, hot, hot... too hot to work in the garden. Too hot to even walk to the garden. This is the third day in a row of over-100 degree heat index. They are promising thunderstorms after midnight.

In this weather, the mosquitos are bloodthirsty when the sun gets low in the sky and it starts cooling down, must remember to cover up with insect repellent before going out and checking. It is starting to get dark now, probably too late to do any work out there. I will water the potted tomato plants when I go out to feed the dog later.

We had a coworker's father's funeral this afternoon. The second one in two weeks. We went to visitation hours for the first one, this afternoon they had the interment first, at 3:00 in the afternoon. The sun was beating down. If it hadn't been so hot and humid it would have been a beautiful day as the sun was shining and there was a light breeze. After the interment, we adjourned to the church for the memorial service. It was a very nice service, he sounded like someone I would have liked to have known. Of course this isn't surprising as we like his son, our co-worker, very much, he is a very nice person. I was surprised to hear that the father was a beekeeper. It seems every time I turn around lately I run into a beekeeper.

I think this is a good thing. I don't see as many honeybees in my backyard now as I did when I was a child. I have seen some reports that they are declining with the increasing use of pesticides, the increase of the Varroa mite, and the decline of the backyard beekeeper. I've been toying with the idea of keeping a few hives, but right now I am afraid I wouldn't have enough time to devote to doing the necessary tasks.

After the service we came home and took a nap until dark. Too hot.

No comments: