. Bright Meadow Farms

Tuesday, July 11, 2006



It's raining again! We had 5 inches last night and it has been raining off and on all afternoon today, right now it seems to be pouring.

I was so frustrated after work today I went out to the garden and pulled weeds, even though it was still drizzling down. My wonderful husband could see how upset I was and he even came out to help - even though he dislikes gardening (having been used for forced labor in the pea-patch when he was small....)

I have hairy galinsoga. No, it's not a disease, it's a weed.
Ugh. Each plant makes 7800 seeds, and there's no dormancy requirement, so there can be several generations in each season. I started doing the math but I think it's more than a google. Every time it rains another generation of the dastardly thing germinates.

We pulled out an oversized wheelbarrow of just this weed and redroot pigweed in an hour. Then I picked some peas for our dinner, and tied up a few tomato plants on the trellis. Since it's pouring now, I will have to wait until tomorrow to pull some more.

I think the weeds are winning.

No comments: