. Bright Meadow Farms

Monday, July 31, 2006

Instead of "pulling" weeds last night I tried "cutting" weeds - that's right, I took a pair of scissors right out into the garden. I was able to clear away a lot of that hairy galinsoga and some pigweed too - just cut the plant right at ground level. This way it doesn't disturb the roots of the vegetable plants, but I get the seed-bearing part of the weed out of the garden. I made three big bundles of weeds before the mosquitos got mad and chased me out of the garden. The weeds will probably grow back from the roots but at least I can see where my vegetables are now - I found several ripe tomatoes that I didn't even know I had. Maybe I can take the tiller out and rip up the roots later this week.

Heat index here today is supposed to be over 100 degrees. Of course "it's not the heat it's the humidity!" It hasn't rained for at least 3 days, although the water table is still pretty high. If I water the garden it is sure to bring on a thunderstorm!

No comments: