. Bright Meadow Farms

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I stayed inside and baked pies today, since it was too hot to spend time outdoors! One strawberry-rhubarb, one apple, and one mixed berry pie. The apples were Lodi. I asked at the local orchard for Yellow Transparents, supposedly best for pie-making, and they said all they had were Lodi. My husband says that Lodi is an improved Transparent, so I guess it's OK. He liked the pie.

The mixed berries were a combination of last year's frozen black raspberries and cherries, some fresh strawberries, and frozen commercial berry mix containing raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. I added extra tapioca for thickening, I hope it sets up.

Old-fashioned strawberry-rhubarb pie:

Roll out your favorite pie dough recipe and put bottom crust in plate.

Mix

2 cups strawberries, quartered and hulled
2 cups rhubard cut in 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (I use Watkins brand)

and put in bottom crust. Roll out top crust, place on pie, and crimp edges. Cut steam vents and sprinkle with 1-2 tsp sugar. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes. Check after 20 minutes, if outer crust is getting too crisp top with aluminum pie ring to prevent burning.

Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

No comments: