. Bright Meadow Farms

Thursday, July 27, 2006

FIRST TOMATO! I picked it yesterday - the Pixie Hybrid grape tomato was the first ripe one, well, perhaps it was not quite "ripe" but it was orange. It is somewhere between a cherry and a salad tomato - I was able to pick 5 or 6 of them. I also picked one of the Beaverlodge tomatoes, it had a yellow cast to it and I want the plant to keep on bearing more. It is turning orange on the table on my patio. I picked "up" a green one that had fallen off the vine, too. Hope it ripens.

Last night I spent a lot of time weeding. I found one of my cabbage plants had completely rotted away under the weeds. I will need to research whether this is some kind of fungus, whether it was an insect or a rodent that got to it. There are tiny little cabbage heads sprouting from the stem, should I pull the entire stem out and get rid of the rotted vegetation, or keep the plant and hope for a harvest from the little buds?

I also picked six cucumbers - they were not entirely filled out but certainly "big enough" for a salad, and two green peppers, and one entire Swiss chard plant. E says "No swiss chard -throw it on the compost" but I happen to like it.

Looks like we are going to miss both the blackberries at the farm and the farm market this weekend - my brother-in-law is coming to town and has plans that include the West Side Market in Cleveland and the Great Lakes Brewery. Should be fun.

No comments: